Wednesday 3 October 2012

Design Process

There are certain steps I carry out within my design process, these steps can be different with subjects or areas I design for. Following these steps of research, self evaluation and assessments helps me to fully achieve what I set out and to work to my best to assess and react to changes.

From my starting point, if its a project brief or specific piece of work, I brainstorm ideas in my sketchbook by making a mind map with branches coming off subjects that lead me onto other subject matter. From this I can think more laterally instead of looking at the surface of what comes to mind first, this then backs up my ideas and gives them more integrity and grounds to work on. It also gives me areas to start my research and to begin thinking more visually of what I want. From initial note making I write down things that are happening now in the media or within my own surroundings that are related to beginning point of my work, from this I can start further research and see the origins of this media or similar events.

Next, I begin using different types of research such as primary for example I could go out and take photographs, interview people, take surveys, make videos or sound recordings. This type of research works well as its my own account but also a first hand account of other peoples opinions right now instead of text that can be from years ago that may not be true now. The second type of research I use is secondary research, this can be from the internet, books, newspapers, movies or biographies. These are accounts of other peoples opinions and may not be fact or true at this moment anymore. However this type of research is good to get a broader range of opinions and accounts to give me more angles to look at and work with, this will also appeal to a larger audience. The research i then take pictures and text into my sketchbook making notes and highlighting certain things that i can further research. From these notes i start to make small sketches and drawings or ideas i get. The first area of research i usually do is the obvious to get a basic knowledge of what the starting point is about, from this i research artists using similar techniques or areas that i think will be interesting. This is when i go into deeper research and start my sketches.

From this research and my ideas I start to experiment with materials and techniques, whilst all the time doing further research into the materials i use, what else i can do with them and what artists use them to reference to my work. From my sketchbook I usually have more than one idea or pathway so during the experimenting stage i explore each of these making small maquettes to see how they perform and look without fully making it. This gives me a better idea of how each idea works in real life more than in theory.

This leads me onto making assessments as I go along through each idea, I write down what went well, what didn't go well, how to change it and other ideas I have. This allows me to refine my work and make it more focused and effective. I also ask others in my class and at home what they feel, how they react and what idea they get of my work. This helps give another perspective and frees me up from just looking at my point of view. Other people also have fresh ideas as they work in different mediums to me such as graphics or textiles, this allows me to add other elements to my work.

My last stage is to refine my work as much as I can and assess my work after each lesson. This then gives me my final idea that has been tested through maquettes, sample making, deeper research and assessments to work at its full potential. After my final design or piece has been made I assessment my work one last time to note down what I could of changed, if I felt it fully worked to what i wanted or to its best and if it has given me ideas to further it into other projects. I also gain assessments from others whether they felt my work was effective and if it made them feel a certain emotion.

Overall, I feel a good design process is important for producing your best  and most effective work as it allows you to look from all angles and be informed with a good background knowledge and foundation to your piece that gives it integrity and value.

No comments:

Post a Comment