Tuesday 16 October 2012

Myyy box.



 In 3D last week we spent about an hour and a half inside a box. Which i thought was a bit strange at first and that it wouldnt really help but it did! My first thoughts getting in the box were nerves being in such a small dark space and i felt paranoid what other people were doing around me, whether they were in their box or if they had walked off and left me, i felt clostrophobic and trapped.. I wasnt sure at first what i was meant to be doing so i tried sketching what i could see through the gaps in the box and where the light sources were coming from. I took pictures of where the gaps were letting light in, my camera on my phone isnt great but you can see the shapes they created which i thought looked abstract.


 
Next i tried tracing the light on the inside of my box and noting what shapes they made, they made long jagged shapes from the wavy edges of the cardboard. I thought these would make nice graphics when used in photoshop so i need a way of recording them other than on the inside of the box. I moved the position of my sketchbook so the light would reflect onto it letting me trace the shapes.




 
 
From the beginning of the excercise where i felt clostrophobic and self conscious, everyone was laughing and making noises adjusting their boxs to get inside them to when my eyes began to adjust to the darkness and it became lighter. Every one took it a lot more seriously once it became their own space and their own box and no one was talking, when John would ask a question no one would reply because they were too busy sketching in their own space. When John asked if everyone would swap their boxs or deconstruct them everyone said no, everyone seemed to take ownership of a simple cheap object which made me think about how ownership works and anything someone is given they make it their own and it becomes principle no matter how cheap the object is. It made the box seem important and like my own space which made me start to feel comfortable and not clostrophobic anymore.
 
People started to move around outside which kept disturbing the shapes of light coming into my box, it reminded me of a puppet show on the walls of my box but i couldnt make out the outline of the person. I opened one end of the box and from being in there so long i forgot what angle the box was at and where in the room i was. It made me feel disorientated and lost because i seemed to block out what was outside the box.
 
Overall this project made me think more about positive and negative space and how we fill them. I most found interesting how such a small space  can change your feelings once you adjust and take ownership of it which i think is relatable to other things in life that over time become your own.



No comments:

Post a Comment