Tuesday 30 October 2012

Ptolemy Mann


 
I saw Ptolemys work when i last went to The Harley Gallery and thought it related quite well to what i like within textiles and also the project we are doing at the moment. I like woven materials as you can see the history of them and how they are made, it also reminded me of Aikos work that i recently put on my blog where she uses old woven fabric and unravels them to show how they are made and tell the story of the fabric. I, attracted to any work that uses bright contrasting colours so i enjoyed Ptolemys work and found that the colours mixed with the textures of the woven material worked well. Id like to try weaving my own material to use within a 3D to make it change from a two dimensional object to a three dimensional piece.

Her work is based on architecture, colour and space and is used within fashion designers work as well as wall art. She uses an upright dobby loom using specially dyed fibres so the colours she makes are unique to her work.


No comments:

Post a Comment