Thursday 14 March 2013

Process Over Outcome

Today i wanted to focus on the process of me making the casts and the journey a cast can go through rather than the outcome of a finished piece. My idea before i started was to distort and deform the body using different materials and started with algenate to get a detailed cast. I then wanted to move onto plaster casting using my latex samples which are forms of casts, the raw and messy effect of plaster but also what i wear and the cling film will change and distort the body further, to then make a piece from the cast which has gone through a process of changes. From this i wanted it to relate to transformations people go through if its their physical image or their character as outside variables and events change the outcome of who they are.

The first cast i made i used fishing wire wrapped around the hand. I wanted to try this on myself as i knew id put up with it hurting and know my limits because its my own work. Also id experience first hand the process i go through.

The plaster didnt fill the mould properly and i ended up getting air trapped in it so my fingertips were missing but i think this only adds to the history and process the cast went through. Also some of the wire was left in the cast, after i took the wire off it left deep marks in my skin so next time i want to try casting from the marks without the wire.




 
After the algenate was taken off the cast a large part was still intact enough that i could produce another cast. I like the idea of repeating a cast as it deconstructs so its changing the body and abstracting it. Tomorrow i want to go back to this mould again and try something else with it.
 

 
After finding an artist called Veronika Bromova who looks at deforming the human body, in one piece she used cellotape wrapped around the body so from this i wanted to try it in a cast.
 
I wanted to try casting myself as much as i could so made sure everything was close by. I started by decided where to put my leg if i would stand, sit or lay down. I decided to sit and put my leg on a chair so i would be more comfortable. For my first cast to make it slightly easier i cast onto clothing and using cling film just as a practice. I then wrapped the cellotape over the cling film so it would be more prominent in the cast. I had to get others to mix the plaster for me so doing the whole process completely by myself would be impossible. It was a bit uncomfortable with my leg being in that position then when it set and was being taken off it almost felt as though it wasnt a part of me and felt a bit alien. The uncomfortableness and awkwardness of moving around it was part of the process.
 
Tomorrow im going to start working with the cast i made and see what i can do with it!
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment