Wednesday 13 March 2013

Skin and Body


After making my latex samples i wanted to see how they worked as another material to cover the body leaving small parts visible or being opaque to see the body underneath. I liked the way the latex pulled and distorted the skin but also the colours and textures make it harder to see whats underneath. The texture of latex when stretched over the skin like tight clothing can sexualise something and make it body conscious like pvc clothing. The idea of someone being squeezed into tight latex like material and the way the skin has pulled in my pictures makes it awkward but in a funny way.






These are the ones i tried out today on arms and legs...







Today i did some further photographs of body parts and skin covered and changed with materials. My first idea came from Mari Iwaharas work using typography and language using the skin. I wanted to see what the outcomes were and the processes of concealing or obscuring body parts. Seeing parts of the skin and body isolated in one image can change your perception of where it is and
what it is. When i first saw Maris work it looked rude and made me unsure what parts of the body were used until you look closer, i think most people at first look of something thats obscure their mind jumps straight to something sinister or dirty. This instant judgement and perception when using skin and body parts i want to play on further.


These are my attempts with Chloe which were much more difficult than i thought they would be. A large part of the time we spent was actually figuring out where on the body and how, we then moved onto looking at natural shapes the body makes without using wire on them such as a C in the ear and a B in the nose. I felt this excercise helped me with my work, it made me be aware of communication with the body and how it can be changed.

Natural body forms:




















Altered body forms:

X




N





I




Z




Y




D




H




M







No comments:

Post a Comment