Tuesday 21 January 2014

Pattern and Texture


David Altmejd
'David Altmejd was born in Montreal, Canada in 1974. With an almost childlike fascination for objects that grow, transform, and reshape themselves, Altmejd creates sculptures, suffused with ornament, that blur distinctions between interior and exterior, surface and structure, representation and abstraction. Meaning, for Altmejd, does not exist in advance of the work in process. His interest lies in the making—the building of an object that will generate meaning. Using armatures in the forms of giants and angels that convey both human and supernatural energies, he abandons standard narrative conventions in favor of an exploration of materials, processes, and structures.'
http://www.art21.org/artists/david-altmejd

For some reasons i always seem to come back to David Altmejds work since the first or second year of college. I just love his use of texture and colour to create surreal type landscapes and universes. The caption i found on a website really relates to my work and its put my practice into a form that seems clearer to me, although we dont cover the same subject matter, his interest in process and this exterior/interior theme really relates to what i do.



Dina Lynnyk





I realize at times that my research can seem a bit sporadic and chaotic and i do actually confuse myself at times, where i am or what im actually doing! I just keep trying to reel it back sometimes to focus my interest on one certain point. One main point for me right now is contrasting pattern and texture, if its material or fabrics, i think this is partly the reason i do look at a lot of fashion for my work. I found these photos on my favourite art blog whokilledbambi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment